Thursday, November 12, 2009

Indian, anyone?

We had a mom that wanted to go to Indian food.   I love Indian food so I had no problem with this request!    We decided to try Royal India on Market in the Gaslamp.    A couple of reasons for this decision, we had never been there and I had a coupon!
We got there early, about 5:15 on a weeknight and it was empty.   Yay for us, we didn't have to wait!   I could tell that "mom" was a little aprehensive about the food so we decided to play it safe.
As soon as we sat down we received water and Papadum with two chutneys, 1 sweet and 1 hot.    I love hot but I know that some don't so I tasted and then warned accordingly.
I ordered some potato and pea samosas as I knew she would like those since they are fried!   Of course, we all liked them.    Nice and light and served on a bed of cabbages.     
For the dinner I ordered three dishes and we shared all of them.    Paneer Tikka Masala, Channa Masala and Chicken Tikka Kabab.   They all came with rice and I got a garlic and a plain nan too.     I ordered the paneer and the chicken mild and got the channa medium spicy.     I knew that the cheese would go over well along with the chicken.   The garbanzos would have been ok for her except that they were a little spicier than she liked.    Needless to say, I loved them all.     
The rice was perfect as was the nan.    Everything was great, I would have kept eating if I hadn't gotten full.    I know that mom was impressed when the chicken came to the table on the steaming plate.    The veggies under the chicken were great and the chicken was very tender.
After we stuffed ourselves on all of this great food we had to have dessert.   I ordered the Shahi Mango and the Rusmalai (more cheese).     We shared both of them.   Mom liked the mango best but the rest of us liked them both equally.     
The service was great, the place wasn't crowded and I will go back!   Maybe some pictures next time!
329 Market Street
San Diego CA 92101
Cusine: Indian
Dollar Value: A little pricy but worth it.
Service: Very friendly
Would I return here: Yes, yes, yes!

329 Market Street,
San Diego, CA 92101


329 Market Street,
San Diego, CA 92101