Monday, January 18, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes!

University Heights has got to be one of my most favorite places in town.   All of the character of Hillcrest yet a lot less of the parking hassles.   :)     Hillcrest is also not able to brag that they were once home to an ostrich farm!
That said, I won't ever pass up an opportunity to dine here.
T and I had gone to the Farm House cafe on two prior occasions and none of the visits thus far have disappointed!    
This has got to be one of the smallest places I have ever dined in yet it doesn't feel crowded and certainly not rushed either.    This visit was a rare Sunday brunch.   Rare as we are usually on the road on some form of two wheeled transportation!    We had just returned from our annual pilgrimage to mecca (aka Vegas) and so we were just lazing around not doing anything but eat well.
We got here at about 10:00 and didn't have to wait for a table - NICE!   
I was hankering for a good latte and theirs was great.   Made me smile on a Sunday AM.   
We knew even before we arrived that we would share a small order of the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes.   When you visit here, be sure to do yourself a favor and get an order - you won't be sorry.   Half dollar sized pancakes with ricotta in the batter and a lemon sauce as topping.   Yum-O.    Who says that breakfast doesn't deserve dessert?   Not me!
T ordered the Oeufs Sur La Plat - eggs baked over sauteed potatoes in a cast iron skillet with a wonderfully light tomato sauce on top.   
I had the Oeufs Brouilles Aux Champignons - eggs scrambled with truffle duxelles over sour cream polenta.   This must have been made by angels.    I am a big fan of the polenta but not if it is heavy and lumpy.   This was the creamiest I have ever had.   The eggs with truffles was wonderful as well.    Not to salty but just enough...oh...I can still taste how good it was!
As I mentioned already, we finished with the pancakes and we glad we did so.
Have not yet ventured to this place for dinner but I sense that this is not far off...
Good thing that we decided to go looking at antiques after this feast since that meant a bit of walking!




2121 Adams Avenue
San Diego CA 
Cusine: casual country french.  Nice emphasis on casual.  
Dollar Value: Good.
Service: Very, very friendly
Would I return here: Yes!   Already have.