Monday, June 14, 2010

Will you be my MIHO??

I am loving the Taco Truck trend that is happening in San Diego!   It arrived some time ago in places like New York, LA and Seattle but is just starting here.
I got an email about MIHO Gastrotruck and knew I just had to try it as soon as possible.   This became possible for me last week.
The gastrotruck is in Sorrento Valley once a week and I just happen to work there!    A friend was going to be in the area for lunch Thursday last so we decided to meet at the truck.
The hours of their lunches are 11:30 - 1:30 and when an item is sold out, it is sold out.   We pulled up to the truck at about 12:05 and there were about 20 people in line in front of us.
Just as we got to ordering they sold out of the potato croquetas with saffron aioli - DAMN, I was really looking forward to those!
OK well moving on, I ordered a bahn mi with chicken and an argula salad.   Couple of pellegrinos and we were set.    As soon as I sat down to wait for my food, the owner came out of the truck and said they were sold out of the salad.   DOUBLE DAMN!    But he said I could have another thing off of the menu on the house and he was going to refund my money for the salad.   OK this worked.   I ordered a vegetable bahn mi so we could try both of the sammiches.
Not long after the sammiches came out and we went to the car.   Typically we would have sat on the grass and ate but it was cold!    
After looking at the sammiches we figured out that both of them were chicken, no tofu included at all.   OK I was sad but I didn't have the time to go back and get what I ordered.
This said, these sammiches were good, really, really good!    I loved the pickled vegetables and the chicken was very tender and roasted nicely.   I would have preferred more jalapeno but that is just me!
I know it sounds like there were a lot of problems with what I ordered and I guess there were.    I am still going to go back and get some of everything on the menu.   I figure that the truck has only been rolling for two weeks, these guys are used to having an entire restaurant behind them for more stock and are still working the kinks out. 

MIHO Gastrotruck  
Many locations near you!
Cuisine: Mexican, Vietnamese, local, organic.
Dollar Value: Great.
Service: Good - food ran out but the owner compensated!!
Would I return here: You bet I will!